The submission deadline for the Pharmaceutical & Health Technology Division (PHT) Student Travel Award has been extended to April 19!
The PHT Division will award stipends of up to $1,500 for the SLA Annual Meeting (July 15-18, 2012 in Chicago, IL) for students who are either interested or currently in the pharmaceutical or related health industries.
Special Libraries Association Annual Meeting Travel Awards
April 13, 2012 Deadline
SLA Annual Meeting
July 15-18, 2012 Chicago, IL
The Pharmaceutical & Health Technology Division will award stipends of up to $1,500 for the SLA Annual Meeting. This award will be paid up front to the selected recipient(s).
For consideration of the SLA Annual Meeting Travel Award, the applicant must be at least one of the following:
· Students enrolled in a library science program and who express an interest in pursuing a career in corporate librarianship in the Pharmaceutical or Health Technology Industries (should be a PHT Division Student Member)
· Current professional PHT Division Members who are in need of travel assistance to attend the SLA Annual Meeting
· Qualified applicants must submit all requirements by: April 19, 2012
· Notifications for all applicants will be sent by: April 30, 2012
Please submit your application by April 13, 2012, to Rochelle L. Stern, MLIS firstname.lastname@example.org
All SLA Travel Awards are to be coordinated by the SLA PHT Student Relations Chair, and judged by the SLA PHT Board. For any additional questions or comments please contact Rochelle Stern, PHT Student Relations Chair (email@example.com/609-514-8360).
1. Cover Page with Name & Contact Information
2. Updated Resume
3. Two Paragraphs (3-5 sentences each) on:
· “Why I want to go to the SLA Annual Conference” (Everyone)
· “Why am I interested in the PHT Division?” (Students only)
4. Short Answer Essay (1-2 pages) – Pick one of the topics on the next page (see Short Answer Essay Topics) OR submit a similar piece of scholarly work (the winning essay will be published in SLA PHTD CapLits publication)
Tips for Short Answer Essay:
· Be sure to demonstrates creative applications of technology, awareness of available resources, and in-depth analysis of current issues
· List all applicable references, sources, and analytical processes
· Be creative – teach us something we may not know
· The winning essay will be published in SLA PHTD CapLits publication so make a scholarly impression – use and list resources and your search criteria or processes to research and write the essay
Short Answer Essay Topics (select one):
ü Describe a future vision for corporate information profession. There has been a noticeable shift in corporate librarians delivering knowledge as opposed to information. Provide some concrete and conceptual ways this is occurring. What are some of the competency shifts librarians must make in order to deliver knowledge, and how should they accomplish this?
ü Currently, we see corporate libraries losing budget or being cut altogether from an organization. The issue companies often provide is that it is unable to establish a clear value relationship between library services and the organization’s bottom line. What strategies and actions should corporate librarians employ to ensure value, and future sustainability?
Arguing the Value of Current and Future Librarianship
ü Situation: You have encountered a conversation around the common corporate meeting area that proclaims information on the Internet alone provides all sufficient information on the latest research on Alzheimer’s drug therapy. As an information professional, you have an obligation to defend the competencies of the librarian, along with professional resources. Develop a convincing, but diplomatic, argument defending the thesis that the Internet alone is not enough, and would garner support for value-added corporate librarian services.
ü Thesis: Information technology such as streaming and downloadable audio, video, and digital book technology, will displace the librarian. Defend this thesis and develop solutions or approaches for information professionals to work with these resources in order to complement value of emerging technologies.
ü Users want to customize library deliverables, and therefore, the importance for libraries to develop their own proprietary applications (RSS feeds, widgets, etc) is increasing. Summarize deliverables that can be potentially customizable, and include some solid ideas based on current or upcoming software on how to plan for these customized tools.
ü With the vast numbers of online health consumer information, the barrier of waiting for health information from a doctor has reduced; however, access to inaccurate, outdated, and irresponsible health information has increased. Research an instance where a health consumer(s) or a health professional(s) experienced this situation. Define how an informational professional would be able to intervene, and what kinds of programs and/or resources could be developed to impart credible health information to consumers, or to consumers via health professionals.
Business of Health/Medical Libraries
ü What is the pathway for entry into the medical information profession? Interview PHT members or summarize sufficient attributes of three or more medical/health librarians. Make conclusions as to whether there is a typical trend pathway to the typical positions in the corporate medical world.
ü Research life science corporations with medical information job postings in the past 2 years. What are the core competencies wanted for entry level / mid-level / veteran-level positions? What are the implications for information professionals in each of these three levels?
ü Based on a listing of companies with known information professionals (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the listing), compare and contrast the performance (stock market, percent revenue/profit growth, hiring trends) of these companies and those in the same sector without existing information professionals.
ü Summarize library literature on success in the corporate library. How has it changed in the last twenty years? What are the keys to success today?
For any questions, please contact Rochelle Stern (email@example.com).