Posted on April 26, 2013.
Please spread the news!
Announcing a SLA-SCC 2013 Scholarship for MLS/MLIS/IS Students!
The Scholarship Committee of the Southern California Chapter of the Special Libraries Association (SLA-SCC; http://southerncalifornia.sla.org) is pleased to announce that we are now accepting applications for the 2013 Karen Gersten-Sternheim Memorial Scholarship.
The Karen Gersten-Sternheim Memorial Scholarship consists of a one-time award in the amount of $3,000. The Scholarship was created in 1993 to honor the memory of Karen Sternheim, a UCLA librarian and a member of SLA-SCC.
An overview of the Scholarship competition follows. Complete information is on our website: http://southerncalifornia.sla.org/student-programs/2013_sla-scc_scholarship-html.
1. Applicants must be members of the SLA Southern California Chapter. Membership information may be found online at: http://www.sla.org/access-membership.
2. Applicants must demonstrate an interest in a career in special libraries, and must be currently enrolled and taking classes in an American Library Association (ALA) accredited masters in library or information science program per http://www.ala.org/accreditedprograms. Also, at the time of application, the student’s graduation date should be no earlier than December 2013.
3. There is no geographic restriction on the school in which the applicant is enrolled. However, applicants must be permanent residents of California or Nevada, and must submit a photocopy of their valid California or Nevada State I.D. card, driver’s license or voter registration card.
Expectations of the Recipient
* The recipient will be asked to submit their essay to the SLA-SCC Communications Director for publication in the chapter’s newsletter.
* The recipient will be asked to attend the SLA-SCC annual fundraiser, the awards dinner and annual business meeting (attendance will be complimentary).
* The recipient will be asked to participate on the 2014 SLA-SCC Scholarship Committee.
Deadline for Consideration
The deadline to apply is June 30, 2013. The Chapter Scholarship Committee must receive an MLIS student’s completed and properly-formatted application containing all requested information no later than this date in order to be eligible for consideration.
How to Apply
For complete information on the criteria, guidelines, required information, and the application checklist, please refer to the Karen Gersten-Sternheim Memorial Scholarship webpage on the SLA-SCC website:
Thank you in advance for sharing this funding and participation opportunity with students you know, or, if you are a student who meets the eligibility criteria, please consider applying yourself! This is one of the larger SLA unit awards!